Letterpress Printer / Artist Needed!
One of our fantastic artists for Tracing The Spirit is on the hunt for a collaborator! David Armes is currently producing a project called How The News Travels in which he explores historical newspaper stories and memories of ‘Nordicness’ from the perspective of letterpress printing and artists’ books. Could YOU be one of David’s collaborators?
Here at Nordic Summer University (NSU), we have commissioned 10 artists and researchers to trace the spread of NSU’s values across the world. At the forefront of creative techniques in archiving, philosophy and creative methods, the projects will culminate in a mini-festival in Norway in Summer 2020 to celebrate NSU’s 70th anniversary – truly the oldest Nordic institution of its kind!
** Could you be David’s final collaborator?
** Are you a letterpress printer/artist with a link to Denmark?
– David has already visited the Danish National Archives to research the NSU materials held there.
– The collaborators will discuss a curated selection of the material before each responding personally in the form of a print or set of prints.
– You must be a letterpress printer with experience of, and access to, a cylinder proof press (Eickhoff, Vandercook, FAG, Korrex or similar) and metal and/or wood type. This is because we will each be creating SRA3 format (32cm x 45cm) prints in an edition of around 40. (There is also the possibility to create further sheets of ‘ephemera’ at alternate sizes/orientations.)
– You must have a link to Denmark. For example; you were born there, live there now, once studied/worked there or have family there.
– The project values experimentation and an expressive approach.
– There is an honorarium of 500 euros available and all materials and postage costs will be borne by the project.
Please see more information and complete the application form on:
David’s website here by December 31st 2019.
The Nordic Summer University (NSU) has commissioned 10 artists and researchers to trace the spread of NSU’s values across the world. At the forefront of creative techniques in archiving, philosophy and creative methods, the projects will culminate in a mini-festival in Norway in Summer 2020 to celebrate NSU’s 70th anniversary – truly the oldest Nordic institution of… Read more
“By turning names into things we create false models of reality. By endowing nations, societies or cultures with the qualities of internally homogenous and externally distinctive and bounded objects, we create a model of the word as a global pool hall in which the entities spin off each other like so many hard and round… Read more
The largest part of the research has been done… collecting all the different study circle programs from all the years that the Nordic Summer University has been active. Seventy years of data, in Swedish, Norwegian and Danish. Only since 2013 were all the (titles) of the study circles in English. This month Sara Wengström helped me… Read more
Follow Our Journey
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.