Letterpress Printer / Artist Needed!
One of our fantastic artists for Tracing The Spirit is on the hunt for a collaborator! David Armes is currently producing a project called How The News Travels in which he explores historical newspaper stories and memories of ‘Nordicness’ from the perspective of letterpress printing and artists’ books. Could YOU be one of David’s collaborators?
Here at Nordic Summer University (NSU), we have commissioned 10 artists and researchers to trace the spread of NSU’s values across the world. At the forefront of creative techniques in archiving, philosophy and creative methods, the projects will culminate in a mini-festival in Norway in Summer 2020 to celebrate NSU’s 70th anniversary – truly the oldest Nordic institution of its kind!
** Could you be David’s final collaborator?
** Are you a letterpress printer/artist with a link to Denmark?
– David has already visited the Danish National Archives to research the NSU materials held there.
– The collaborators will discuss a curated selection of the material before each responding personally in the form of a print or set of prints.
– You must be a letterpress printer with experience of, and access to, a cylinder proof press (Eickhoff, Vandercook, FAG, Korrex or similar) and metal and/or wood type. This is because we will each be creating SRA3 format (32cm x 45cm) prints in an edition of around 40. (There is also the possibility to create further sheets of ‘ephemera’ at alternate sizes/orientations.)
– You must have a link to Denmark. For example; you were born there, live there now, once studied/worked there or have family there.
– The project values experimentation and an expressive approach.
– There is an honorarium of 500 euros available and all materials and postage costs will be borne by the project.
Please see more information and complete the application form on:
David’s website here by December 31st 2019.
The Nordic Summer University (NSU) has commissioned 10 artists and researchers to trace the spread of NSU’s values across the world. At the forefront of creative techniques in archiving, philosophy and creative methods, the projects will culminate in a mini-festival in Norway in Summer 2020 to celebrate NSU’s 70th anniversary – truly the oldest Nordic institution of… Read more
In a text submitted for one of the most recent anthologies to be published in the NSU context, Artistic Research: Being There (2018), I described at length a constellation of voices belonging to a few friends and co-creators I happened to be sharing a lodging with during springtime 2015, in Mooste, southeast Estonia. I remember… Read more
One of our artists, Guilia Mangione, let us into her process: “For my project Oleana I decided to work with analog film photography. The process is a bit lengthy but, in my opinion, totally worthy. In my working flow I alternate digital and analogue techniques to reach the final print. After the rolls of film… Read more
Follow Our Journey
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.